- Helicopter navigation
- This is the fat boy: the big bad, bold and beautiful, heavy-set and hard-to-miss USP. Go ahead and click the menu. If you’re on a tablet, laptop or desktop, you’ll see the unique way the site is navigated. Mobile users will see a clean, neat alternative layout.
- In-built music player
- Roktopus Scrapbook is a perfect theme for bands and musicians. Its in-built music player uses SoundCloud to stream a playlist or artist feed, controlled via a custom interface in the menu-bar. The site allows visitors to navigate through all of your pages and blog posts without interrupting playback. The music player has a number of options for showing its pop-up playlist, including the original SoundCloud player.
- Choice of six design schemes
- Six distinctive schemes to choose from: blackboard, graph paper, ivory paper, plain white and plain black. You can also specify the position of the main menu, the title bar’s shape and side of the screen, and the shape and style of the music player controls. This demo showcases the six design schemes in 16 set configurations (including the alternate backgrounds). Using all the options, there are over one million viable permutations.
- Custom CSS and custom code
- Social media icons
- Easy-to-add social media icons supported for the following platforms: Facebook, Google+, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Skype, Tumblr, Twitter, Vimeo and YouTube. (Facebook and Twitter are shown on this demo, along with an email link, which is scrambled to stop spammers harvesting your address.)
- Two widget areas
- Add widgets to the main title bar or to blog posts.
- Custom backgrounds
- If you’re not keen on any of the backgrounds that come with the eight in-built design schemes, you can upload your own. Try searching for seamless textures online, like these nice ones here, or be creative: make it a treasure map, a pool table, a stone wall or a starry sky, or, for bars and restaurants, use a photo of the wall of your own premises. Custom backgrounds can either replace the entire site background, or the individual pages can appear on “islands”, using their original background, with your custom image behind.
- Featured page images
- Featured images on each page of your site allow you to add customised headings or decoration above or beside the title of each page, for example the octopus on the home page here or my little robot friend on “The Roktopus Family”.
- Built with Underscores
- Roktopus Scrapbook is built on the impeccably written Underscores framework. All of the fancy helicopter stuff happens client-side, so it won’t affect crawlers’ ability to index your site. This means good news for your SEO.
- Optional logo
- Add your logo to the top of the title bar, as I’ve done here. You can then select whether to show or hide the title and subtitle below it. With a transparent title bar and a menu at the bottom or far side of the screen, your logo alone hovers in the top-left or top-right corner of the screen. (Or at the top-center on mobiles.)
- Some people just love a nice hard copy. Can users print pages from your Roktopus-Scrapbook-based site? Yes they can. (And the results look clean, simple and beautiful.)
…and some limitations
Because Roktopus Scrapbook loads all your site’s pages onto the screen at once, it isn’t really suitable for sites that have more than, say, 20 pages in the main navigation. So if you’re planning on setting up the next Amazon, it probably isn’t for you.